Friday, February 29, 2008

Real Talent/Natural Beauty

It's so refreshing to remember that there are still female celebrities in my age group who aren't embarrassing my gender as a whole by being pathetic, piggish publicity whores...because they have actual TALENT.

It seems like those ladies too often don't really get the credit they deserve because they are overshadowed by the attention the media showers on the mediocre celebrity bubble brains who ride off of their sexuality since they have nothing else to really offer the entertainment industry- or the world. You know, those talentless, shallow, one-dimensional chicks who are famous simply for being attractive in a totally superficial and plastic kind of way...they don't really DO anything.

There's such a huge difference between genuine beauty and the kind of attractiveness that one has to consciously try to make for oneself.

I've been thinking about this lately: genuine beauty versus the trivial phony. I've especially been grateful and appreciative of the girlfriends in my life who have shown me the kind of inner beauty that some women have...it shines so brightly it's almost blinding. True beauty in others really comes out during the harshest, roughest, most difficult times in your life.

I think about my closest and dearest friends- my female friends- and how naturally beautiful they all are. My closest friends don't even have to TRY and they are beautiful because they know exactly who they are, they are intelligent and confident and strong and independent and excel at what they each do best individually- and at the bottom of the beauty totem pole comes their physical attractiveness...because that characteristic, in my opinion, is the least significant. Not to say that they aren't physically attractive~ but that's not something I think about when it comes to them as people...I've always been a believer that physical beauty is trivial. If you have the whole package from your head down to your toes on the inside, then what you look like is just a bonus. Beauty and ugliness are in the same family...to call someone physically "ugly" makes even the most attractive person in the world unattractive on the inside, because that's such an ugly thing to say to say about another person. How you treat people also makes you beautiful- and my friends are the kindest, classiest ladies I know. They can see and appreciate the beauty in things that most normal people can't see, and that makes them amazing.

I admire and respect each and every one of my girlfriends for everything they have accomplished and everything that they are!

I also admire and respect actresses/celebrities who embody many of the same qualities that I love so much in my friends. The ones who take risks and take on projects and roles that are challenging and allow them to shine from the inside, and not just their prettiness. Like I said, it's refreshing to remember that there are still females to respect and admire in the media- because the media is really unavoidable.

We exist in a pop culture world!

Some unique female celebrities are genuine celebrities who have gotten where they are because they actually deserve it, and they are strong and confident and classy and smart enough to keep their heads on straight and not let the media OWN them...they are the ones who own the media.

These days it seems like any dim-witted, attractive by generic standards young women can become famous and gain "celebrity" status without having to have anything of real substance to actually offer to deserve the title. Unfortunately, it downplays the ones who DO deserve it.

I think of old Hollywood~ when actresses had CLASS. What we need is to see more of the actresses who are out there who do have that kind of class recognize them and hail them for just that.

What we don't need is more airbrushed sex puppets created by the masterminds of the media machine so that frat boys will have more eye candy to jerk off to- although I'm sure frat boys everywhere would argue.

Here is an article about 3 of my favorite actresses in my age group~ and for those of you like me who like European history (particularly the royale stuff)~ "The Other Boelyn Girl" comes out today!

3 Gals with Talent and Class

Newer Post Older Post Home