Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Morning Drive Time

Morning talk radio 'round these parts SUCK. Especially what the BUZZ has to offer. That guy CRISCO or whatever the hell his name is makes me feel like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed just hearing his voice for two seconds while flipping through the stations.

Jack and Ron are still ok~ been tuning in to them from time to time for years~ but even then, I think they are kind of losing it. I've tried the other stations, even KRXO which is really the only radio station whose music I care to listen to here in OKC, but I still usually find myself a bit disappointed. They all really sound the same-nothing distinguishable or unique about any of them. Nothing that sets them apart from one another.

If I didn't see the number on the dial, I couldn't tell the difference.

Most of the radio personalities I hear in the morning on the radio sound, to me, like a bunch of jerk offs making douche bag jokes and laughing at themselves....and they're not funny. The funny moments they DO have are brief, rare and usually just the easy kind of humor that seems to happen by accident (like they got lucky and a momentarily witty moment).

Who really wants to start their daily drive to work by listening to fart and balls humor?

I hear a lot of recap of previous night's reality shows...apparently there's no escaping the utter pencil in the neck torture of reality television...even in the car. I don't want to hear sound bites from last night's "Bachelor" or "Dancing with the Stars." More music would be nice, but it's kind of like how MTV has gotten (where exactly did the music go????).

I used to listen to Rick and Brad on the KATT, but even this morning they were the ones recapping the fucking "Bachelor." How in the hell is this possible? The KATT is a ROCK and ROLL station...and there is nothing ROCK and ROLL about dizzy chicks "omigawd'ing" on the "Bachelor." How can a station spin some of the greatest rock bands (meaning bands like Zeppelin, not LINKIN' PARK) and then air sound bites from the "Bachelor"?

You know, after going through college and studying the media, I learned a lot. I learned that there is so much potential to utilize valuable air time to get something of substance out there for people to hear. We have enough problems with the television- all the bullshit, brainless reality shows, SEX in your face on every station, and corporate news channels giving you the scoop on THEIR BIASED OPINIONS and USELESS FILLER information 24/7.

Air waves are being wasted and important things are being overlooked and untouched.

I believe that there are so many talented young people graduating college with degrees to get into the media- people who have something to offer...people with ideas and potential to make great changes in the manner in which we get our information...but I feel sorry for radio/broadcast people for the most part, because it seems like so many of the big jobs in those outlets are run /controlled by people who only want to air SHIT.

Entertainment is great~ but I wish that I heard more entertainment media that was intelligently scripted, or articulated in a way that gives us all a little credit for having a brain.

I've been listening to a lot of NPR~ and granted, they too have their biased tendencies in the "wing" they exist in, but hell. At least what I hear is legitimate information. Things of actual significance going on, information relayed in a way that takes it SERIOUSLY for cripes sake without the giggling and mindless blabbering of radio personalities.

Newer Post Older Post Home