Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Seriously?

I read today that there is a lawsuit that has been filed opposing the Oklahoma anti-immigration law which will require authorities to check the immigration status of people who are arrested for felonies, and that some odd 25,000 people have left the Tulsa area out of fear of this.

Read about it HERE.

I don't understand why there should be a problem with authorities checking the legal status of people committing crimes in our state? Why should people who are here illegally be able to stay here illegally if they are committing felonies?

I recently followed a court case where an illegal immigrant was arrested TWICE for sexual assault on young girls, and walked away without punishment (not in Oklahoma, but just an example of serious crimes being committed). Video of the court hearing even showed that the judge acknowledged the fact that the man did not have a social security number and was in fact here illegally...but for some reason, he was let go. This baffles me.

I consider myself a semi-liberal~ in fact, the older I get, the more liberal my beliefs become (which from what I understand, it's usually the other way around). I am actually a frequenter of civil rights, human rights soap box climbing~ but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I don't condone the idea that people coming over here under the radar should be able to enjoy the benefits of this country if they aren't going to obey the law, and if they aren't obeying the law then they should be punished like everyone else or go home.

People act like they are entitled to things and it pisses me off.

Newer Post Older Post Home