Tuesday, November 20, 2007

High School Reunion

My friends and I recently discussed the fact that our 10 Year high school reunion will be coming up next summer and I can't figure out what's scarier~ the fact that it has been 10 years since we were freed from the hell that was high school, or the idea of voluntarily going BACK to relive any remote element of the hell that was high school?

Some people hear "High School Reunion" and think "Yippee! I can't wait to see all those people!" (~skippy, bouncy, cheerleader clapping-type reaction~).

...and other people hear "High School Reunion" and think "Jesus, I know where I WON'T be" (~gagging sound~).

Nothing personal against anyone in particular, or even my old "prison" at that, I just really believe that, despite how much the anti-social can evolve and grow and learn to adjust into a more social mindset, some people are just hard wired to feel completely turned off by back tracking down that particular avenue of memory lane.

I spent the mass majority of my high school career plotting, attempting and succeeding in escaping it as much as possible...running away from what I believed to be one gigantic ant farm of teen movie cliche...and even after SO long, the girl I used to be still exists inside of me somewhere.

Some people thrive on seeing and being seen, and some people can take the same situation and want to dart the other way. I don't mind running into people I knew a long time ago if it should happen on its own, but an organized event like that....~shuddering~

I've never been good at chit chat or small talk~ I find all of that catch up bologna to be a waste of breath and completely dry, uninteresting and FORCED. I always find myself wanting to be completely honest...about EVERYTHING and I have learned that most people can't appreciate my, er, perspective.

Those who can appreciate it~ and who I liked, regardless of whether or not they appreciated it~ I still communicate with, talk to and am still friends with.

Unless there is a lot of alcohol involved, I can't imagine what that many people after so many years could possibly have to talk about other than playing the "This is what's happened to me" ping pong game, where everyone is just waiting for the person they are chatting with to shut up so that they can talk about themselves some more.

Career flexing, baby picture flashing, "That One Time at Band Camp" rehashing...no thank you!

In a drinking environment scenario, I just see the entire situation becoming one big alcohol induced Fakefest, with the sincere and non-ego wagging people coming too few and far between to sell me on it.

I suppose this is a reflection of how I see most of the people I went to school with, but then again, I was never there long enough or allowed myself to get to know most of them well enough to know them at all in the first place...which is even more reason to avoid them all anyways.

If things work out the way I am hoping, my happy ass will be on a plane to Vegas as the Norman North Reunion festivities begin.

Newer Post Older Post Home