Friday, November 2, 2007

Boomer

I'm braving an OU game with Taylor tomorrow evening~ like a fish out of water (or more like a cat being thrown INTO a pool of water...) I am prepared to endure a few hours immersed in the Sooner spirit down in Norman...my long lost hometown.

I agreed to go the other day, after teasing him about football wound up hurting his feelings a bit I think. He told me how much it means to him to for me to spend QT with him and appreciate his love for Sooner football....his other OTHER girlfriend next to poker (I still can't decide which one he loves more, but either way I must compete with those "other ladies" for his attention sometimes and it occasionally drives me batty).

Afterall, he is a 4th generation alumni~ and it's a big family tradition thing for him so I've been working on being a better sport about it all....
I ask questions and let him explain things to me, I congratulate him on good games when they win and slap him on the ass ("Whoo! Have fun babe!") as he's headed out the door to tailgate and enjoy an afternoon of beer and ball (when he's not watching it on tv!).

I am beginning to realize that Sooner winnings are vital to how my Saturdays will turn out in the end, because when they lose I have to deal with a cranky husband. It's always been like this, but now that we are married I figure I should try to be more supportive.

My personal issues with Sooner football stem mostly from growing up in Norman and having it shoved down my throat my whole life (especially after they won that championship in 2000...before that they couldn't fill the bleachers, and suddenly fans started coming out of the woodworks once they won that title....GRRRR. Band Wagoners bug the hell out of me!).

I don't have to be a fan or a band wagoner, but I also shouldn't punish him for my Sooner annoyance. So I'll suck it up and enjoy his company as he enjoys the game. I told him that I'm not wearing any Sooner apparel though. The last time I attempted to at least wear some sort of reddish/maroonish shirt at a game a few years ago he teased me by saying that I stuck out and, although my effort was "cute," it was obvious that I was not a fan.

I am considering making him take me to an opera or ballet....even though I really don't care for the opera or ballet~ but it would be interesting to see his reaction if I suggested it. I think he married me because he knows I will never make him go to a ballet or opera.

The media and popular culture likes to make everyone believe that all wives are constantly trying to get their husbands to take them to the opera or ballet.

I personally would prefer to have Taylor take me to see Black Sabbath/Ozzy next month (ROCK!) instead (which for Taylor is almost the equivalent to the opera or ballet), but unfortunately a conflict of scheduling will not allow it anyways (damn).

Newer Post Older Post Home