Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"21"

Saw "21" last night. It was much like I expected it to be, but I did come to several conclusions after watching it:

1.) Jim Sturgess, the main guy "Ben" is super super cute....or super DUPER cute. I can’t decide if I think he is hot or not, but he definitely has his hot moments (when he is not busy being super duper cute). This brings me to my next conclusion.

Here he is: My newest celebrity boyfriend. And he's British. I will try to forget that he was in the awful Beatles musical who used Bono as Dr. Roberts.
Photobucket

2.) There is something super hot, to me at least, about a guy sitting at a card table...and not just any Vegas-going guy at a card table...I am talking about the serious kind of guy who is there to get down to business, not gamble. Perhaps my thinking this is a result of Taylor and my many years of competing with poker as his girlfriend. Either way, I like a guy who is not only serious about what he does, but is good at it too. Smart guys are hot. Few hot guys are smart, but when you find a smart guy who is hot, his hotness is just off the charts attractive. Um, what was my point? Oh yes, Jim Sturgess pulled off the hot smart guy thing quite nicely. Me likey.

3.) I love Kevin Spacey. Period.

4.)I’m disappointed that the makers of the movie "21" chose not to be accurate and go by the book it was based on, "Bringing Down the House." The real-life MIT guys who actually pulled the Vegas stunt off were ASIAN AMERICAN guys. Not a cute white boy, not a generically attractive blond girl (whom in the movie, I could have done without the romance subplot...). The movie makers threw in a couple of "token" Asian characters to make the card counting team more believably "brainy," but failed to give them any dimension as characters OR real speaking parts. Tisk, tisk movie makers. What "artists" will sacrifice in their work for GREEN GREEN GREEN and drawing in the masses. I am imagining all of the talented Asian American actors out there who were cut out of the opportunity to real-life Asian characters of an interesting story. Had the movie included the guys from "Better Luck Tomorrow" the movie would have been way more convincing and realistic...I mean, part of the whole reason that the MIT guys got away with their card counting heist is because they used their ethnic stereotypes to pull it off...

5.) BUT, I really enjoyed watching Jim Sturgess. So I will forgive them I guess, for the sake of eye candy. I wish that the movie would have given the role of the brainy card counting team member/love interest to the Asian girl instead of Kate Bosworth (too skinny, too generic, way too boring and dry and uninteresting)...you know, considering that it might be nice to give a lead role to an Asian girl that doesn’t require her in kimono or samurai sword slinging kung fu fighting nail salon fortune cookie English speaking subordinate concubine. Asian girls like cute boys too and also get to date them, but American movie makers never seem to understand that. Hollywood still has a LONG way to go. Until they decide to be more progressive, Asian American movie goers will continue to have to accept the fact that American movies don't like to give romantic leads to us unless we are sporting kimonos and slinging samurai swords.

* But I will happily accept more cute British imports such as Jim Sturgess.

the end.

Newer Post Older Post Home