Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Designer Muffin Tops

I am thinking that students who are majoring in design should probably dress more like they have a clue about what looks good on themselves before they decide what looks good in anyone else's physical space.

I was in a meeting today where some students from the College of Arts, Media & Design presented their ideas for our office's design/architectural remodel, and I'll just say that for someone who was trying to convince us to let her fashion a new look for our office, one particular girlfriend's outfit was not good.

Two things come to mind: Muffin Top and the bottom of a bargain bin.

Don't get me wrong-I am all for bargain shopping. Bargain shopping is one of my special super powers. What's better than finding clothing for a great deal? Pretty much everything I buy is on sale.

But I do believe that there is a particular art to bargain shopping...and it doesn't involve constructing an entire outfit out of frocks that are unfashionably too small, too "square," in colors that should be banned, and just don't "go" if you catch my drift.

Mixing and matching is one thing- when different items go together in a way that makes them interesting or unique. But to simply throw together an entire collection of conservatively flavored, triple-marked down clearance clothing...that lack of consideration to detail does not scream "I'm a designer!" to me.

I think it's also important to understand that Muffin Tops do not make good accessories. I have some jeans that could bake Muffin Tops on my waistline, but I don't wear them. Because they obviously no longer friggin' fit.

Having a Muffin Top is one thing, but there are ways to tuck it away and make your ensemble more flattering. I mean, not just for the sake of hiding it, if you don't care what you look like, but come on. It just looks SO uncomfortable, what with your pant button hanging on for dear life and your extra baggage overflowing all over the place.

When you are wanting to be taken seriously as a person with an eye for style, your bodily baked goods are just too distracting when they are leaking out of your clothing.

I don't know if I could take seriously the design advice of a chick wearing badly faded black slacks so tight that an unacceptably prominent Muffin Top is spilling out the top, scuffed black orthopedic shoes, a too-small/too short white collared button down shirt with a Little House on the Prairie collar under an electric peach quarter sleeved cardigan and a strangely curled loopy hairdo.

I would be worried that she would make my space look as tacky as her outfit.

This chick is a DESIGN student. I don't find any excuse for someone choosing a professional career in interior design to walk around looking like an eyesore. It's like a hairstylist with a perm or a tone-deaf musician.

Here is a little for clarification on Muffin Top 101 for those not in the know:

Newer Post Older Post Home